As you spend 10 minutes to cast this spell, you create a ward against magical travel that protects up to 930 square meters of floor space (an area 30 meters square, or four hundred 1.5-meters squares or one hundred 3-meters squares). The warded area can be up to 9 meters tall, and shaped as you desire. You can ward several stories of a stronghold by dividing the area among them, as long as you can walk into each contiguous area while you are casting the spell.
When you cast this spell, you can specify individuals that are unaffected by any or all of the effects that you choose. You can also specify a password that, when spoken aloud, makes the speaker immune to these effects.
For the duration, creatures can’t teleport into the area or use portals, such as those created by the gate spell, to enter the area. The spell proofs the area against planar travel, and therefore prevents creatures from accessing the area by way of the Astral Plane, Ethereal Plane, Feywild, Shadowfell, or the plane shift spell.
The spell’s area can’t overlap with the area of another forbiddance spell. If you cast forbiddance every day for 30 days in the same location, the spell lasts until it is dispelled, and the components are consumed on the last casting.
You can increase the area by 930 square meters for each additional mana or psi expended.
You can expend 1 additional mana or psi to cause the spell to damage types of creatures that you choose when you cast it. Choose one or more of the following: celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. When a chosen creature enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, the creature takes 5d10 radiant or necrotic damage (your choice when you cast this spell).
Guards and Wards. You can expend 1 additional mana or psi to place your choice of one of the following magical effects within the warded area. You must know any spell specified.
- Place fog cloud in all the warded corridors. In addition, at each intersection or branching passage offering a choice of direction, there is a 50% chance that a creature other than designated or who knows the password will believe it is going in the opposite direction from the one it chooses.
- Place knock/lock on all doors in the warded area, magically locking them. In addition you can place minor illusion on up to ten doors to make them appear as plain sections of wall.
- Place web in all the warded stairs from top to bottom. These strands regrow in 10 minutes if they are burned or torn away while forbiddance lasts.
- Place dancing lights in four corridors. You can designate a simple program that the lights repeat.
- Place magic mouth in two locations.
- Place stinking cloud in two locations. The vapors appear in the places you designate; they return within 10 minutes if dispersed by wind while forbiddance lasts.
- Place a constant gust of wind in one corridor or room.
- Place a suggestion in one location. You select an area of up to 1.5 meters square, and any creature that enters or passes through the area receives the suggestion mentally